Condense Mail Headers

Date:
Tue, 9 Feb 1999 09:19:51 -0800
From:
"Leighton M. Gill" <[log in to unmask]>
Derek Lim <[log in to unmask]> writes:

>Did any major composers mention their impressions of Chinese music, and
>did any attempt to portray Chinese-ness through their music? Were they
>influenced by Chinese music?

The one that comes to mind is Alan Hovhanness.  He is a 20th century
tonal composer who is known for atonality "unnatural." I think he is still
alive.  Now, I'm familiar with only a few of his works, (I have three CDs
with his works) but he has composed, if my sometimes ailing memory serves
me correctly, dozens of symphonies, probably the most well known of which
is called "Mysterious Mountain." I have liked most of what I've heard of
his works.  (One of his works that I have not heard is called "And God
Created Great Whales," which I understand, uses recorded sounds of
cetaceans accompanied by orchestra.  The whole premise of this causes me
to raise an eyebrow.) The notes from his recordings mention strong oriental
influences.

Hope this helps.

--Leigh