Condense Mail Headers

Date:
Mon, 8 Feb 1999 21:30:18 +0000
From:
Ian Crisp <[log in to unmask]>
Ian Foster wrote:

>I recently read an interesting paragraph about the violinist Anthony
>Marwood.  Does anyone know anything about this artist? What recordings
>has he made, apart from recording the Faure Piano Quintates with Domus?

I heard him give a performance (premiere, I think) of a violin concerto by
Sally Beamish in Glasgow in 1995 with the Scottish Chamber Orchestra under
Martyn Brabbins.  He was good, if my memory can be trusted - and Beamish is
an under-rated composer.  That concert also included two bits of Birtwistle
(Still Movement and Endless Parade) and Walton's 2nd symphony - quite a
programme!  I know of no recordings by Marwood.

Looking through my records of concerts at Glasgow's City Halls reminded me
of a female conductor who hasn't been mentioned in several discussions of
that subject:  Odaline de la Martinez.  I've heard her a couple of times,
but the City Halls one was a concert of music by South American composers
- Roldan / Overture on Popular Cuban Themes; Ortiz / Concierto Candela
for percussion & orchestra; Chaves / Sinfonia India; Milstein / Musica
Ciudadana; Villa-Lobos / Bachianas Brasilieras No2.

This brief burst of nostalgia for my seven years living in Scotland reminds
me of the remarkable richness of the classical music available in Glasgow
and Edinburgh.  I now live in London, and in some respects the range and
quality of music available to me here is not as good here as it was in
Scotland.  It's also a lot more expensive.

Ian Crisp