Condense Mail Headers

Date:
Mon, 8 Feb 1999 09:22:32 -0500
From:
Jon Johanning <[log in to unmask]>
Greg Bright writes:

>I remember hearing the Concord String Quartet perform his Third string
>quartet in Berkeley sometime around 1973, and it absolutely blew me away!

Having listened to the 2nd quartet a few times, I find it very attractive.
A solemn opening, a very amusing scherzo, and many other very expressive
passages along the way. I'll be sure to investigate the Third, too.

>I have for years been puzzled how a composer of his skill and significance
>could remain so obscure while minimalists thrive and prosper.  Might it
>have something to do with degrees of listener attention and concentration?
>Nah, accessability isn't it; availability is.  And promotion.  And
>advertising.

I also have been wondering about the neglect of this composer.  His
long association with the University of Pennsylvania gives him a local
significance to me, but it seems as though his qualities should be more
universally appreciated.  It may be that he doesn't quite fit into any
of the pigeon-holes that people are used to.

Jon Johanning // [log in to unmask]