Condense Mail Headers

Date:
Sun, 7 Feb 1999 16:32:23 PST
From:
Donald Satz <[log in to unmask]>
Friedrich Kiel(1821-1885) is a composer I first became acquainted with
through his piano quintets on Marco Polo; I recognized a composer of high
talent and was looking forward to other Kiel works.  Then, MDG released
about a year ago a disc of Kiel cello chamber works; that was also
excellent.

The most recent disc I'm aware of devoted to Kiel consists of his Missa
Solemnis and Op.  6 overture.  The Missa Solemnis is a major work lasting
over 50 minutes.  I found the work to be a major discovery of another
neglected large-scale romantic period choral piece.  It has beauty, power,
piety for those who prefer, excellent playing/singing, good variety of
tempos and moods, and some contrapuntal writing.  Bach need not worry.

In the past two years, I've come across some great sacred choral works
highlighted by Lickl's Missa Solemnis and Requiem on Koch, Gouvy's Requiem
and Stabat Mater on K617, and now the Kiel Missa Solemnis.  If you love
Mozart/Haydn/Beethoven/ sacred choral works, Lickl/Gouvy/Kiel should be
on your antenna.

Hold on, I neglected to mention Kiel's Op.  6 overture.  It's a fine
early Kiel piece that affords pleasure.  Unfortunately, it sounds somewhat
anticlimatic being placed after the Missa Solemnis.  Best to program it up
front.

Don Satz