Condense Mail Headers

Date:
Sun, 7 Feb 1999 16:43:22 -0500
From:
Greg Bright <[log in to unmask]>
Jon writes:

>Rochberg's string quartet, like those of Carter's, has not yet yielded many
>of its secrets to me. ...

I remember hearing the Concord String Quartet perform his Third string
quartet in Berkeley sometime around 1973, and it absolutely blew me away!
I had just recently traversed the complete Mahler, and the similarities
to his later works were obvious.  In this work Rochberg is returning
to tonality, but there are many moments of remarkable intensity where
serialism is the utilized technique.  An old Nonesuch LP of this work
by the Concord still thrills.

I have for years been puzzled how a composer of his skill and significance
could remain so obscure while minimalists thrive and prosper.  Might it
have something to do with degrees of listener attention and concentration?
Nah, accessability isn't it; availability is.  And promotion.  And
advertising.

Greg Bright