Condense Mail Headers

Date:
Sat, 6 Feb 1999 11:56:16 -0800
From:
John Smyth <[log in to unmask]>
Lawrence Wu wrote:

>This is one of the biggest ironies of the pop music culture.  There are
>those that choose to be musically illiterate for the same reason.  Dr.
>Forney one of my professors in music included a very astute observation
>in one of her published works on music.  It was in the lines that not
>understanding the rules of football will not help someone enjoy the game
>more.  Intentionally being ignorant of music is in the same lines.

A poster I read once said, "Artists don't discover new landscapes, they
uncover ones already existing."

What makes an artist great is his ability to articulate the Condition
of Humanity better than others.  Knowing the rules can only enhance the
revelatory experience-as long as the art presented has depth and quality.

John Smyth