From:
Ernest Gregoire <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 17 Feb 1999 19:05:45 PST
<< Because bears are nocturnal, I would like to
have either a timer or photocell turn these units on and off at dusk and
daylight to increase the time the battery operates before requiring
recharging...>>

Hello Gang,

First, bears are sometimes, nocturnal. They do move around in daylight
hours, especially early morning and just before sunset.

This also varies with the season.

I lost a hive to a bear durring daylight. It was early, about 5:30 AM
And we saw a bear while having breakfast one morning too,he was just
passing through.

Id hate to see you loose hives to a bear by not keeping the fences on
24 hours a day. I rigged a solar panel from my ham radio stuff and it
charges the fence battery just fine. It put out 500ma, and has no
trouble keeping a battery of 28 ampere hours up to snuff.

de AA1IK,

Ernie Gregoire

R.R. 1, Box 221,
South Rd.