From:
Murray McGregor <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 30 Jan 1999 13:07:56 +0000
In article <[log in to unmask]>, Computer Software
Solutions Ltd <[log in to unmask]> writes
>Use of Old Combs.
>
>342. It is commonly taught that with the successive raising of bees in the
>same cell, the cell walls become thickened more and more by the deposit of
>larval skins and cocoons, gradually reducing the diameter of the cell. On
>the supposition that the cells must soon become too small, many good tough
>combs are destroyed unnecessarily each year. The fact is, the bees limit the
>reduction of diameter by stripping the walls, letting the deposit
>accumulate, however, at the bottom of the cell as this is readily
>compensated for by extending the cell mouth. In time, the mid-rib may thus
>be thickened to 1/4" (6.25mm) or more and such combs are most excellent for
>the winter cluster.

I recieved this, Tom Barretts original posting, after I had replied to
Allen Dicks posting. I appear to have gone over old ground already
covered by Tom because I did not have the original posting.

Only problem I have with the contents of this are the thickness of the
midrib. Yes it does get very thick and papery from the cocoon bases, but
I think there is also some kind of self limiting factor at work here too
reulting in the bees eventually working the thickness back to within
their favoured parameters. Not even our oldest combs seem to have a
midrib a quarter of an inch thick or any where near it. Everything else
mirrors our experience fairly well.

The example I quoted of the Piercos could illustrate this. The midrib in
the case of these frames is already pretty thick, and the clean cell
bases in spring could mean that the thickness is already near the bees
upper parameter.

Murray
--
Murray McGregor