From:
George Styer <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Thu, 5 Nov 1998 19:49:04 -0800
> From: Lloyd Spear <[log in to unmask]>
> To: [log in to unmask]
> Subject: Mite losses in July/August
> Date: Thursday, November 05, 1998 10:26 AM
>
>I have never heard of any correlation between bees under stress (drought
> conditions) and large numbers of mites.  In fact, such is not logical as
> mites require large amounts of larvae to increase their population.

I find the implied connection between drought and honeybee stress
interesting. I recall reading somewhere that some species of plants
actually produce more nectar during a drought than during a wet year. This
is apparently a well evolved strategy for propagating the next generation.

Any botanists out there?