From:
Ernest Gregoire <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 22 Oct 1998 15:02:21 PDT
Hello Gang,

I hereby submit my plan for hive management for 1999.

Please examine it and write to me with your likes
and dislikes and the reasons why.

After a great deal of reading,
here on the Bee-L as well as in nunerous books,
magazine articles, and medication instructions,
I have devised a plan to manage my apiary next year.

My location is in farm country in the mountains,
elevation 1100 feet.
Spring is wet, both wet snow and rain, then it gets
hot.

Last year Dandilions were in full bloom on May 15,
and Spring in general came early, by 2 weeks or
there about.

I kept temperature records for the whole year.
Durring the weeks from August 15 through September 4 ,
daytime temperatures held in the mid 70's to the mid
80's.

The breed of bee is New World Carniolan.

                     1999  PLAN BEE

Week #  Date              Activity

1-4     Jan             Check colonies on a warm day

11      Mar,15          Apistan IN
11      Mar.15          Fumidil-B

14      Apr.5           Feed 1:1 syrup and Pollen substitute

15-15-17                Target dates for NUC arrival

17      May,2           Apistan OUT

18      May,3           Reverse Brood chambers
18      May,3           Add Ross Round supers

19      May 15-16       Make splits on the Dandilion flow

27-28   July 5-12       Pull off crop

29-30                   New queens arrive and placed in nucs

30      Aug,1           Kill old queens

31      Aug,4           Install nucs with recaged queens

32      Aug,15          Menthol IN

35      Spet.4          Menthol OUT
35      Sept,4          Fumidil-B

39      Oct.2           Apistan IN

47      Nov.27          Apistan OUT

47-48   Thanksgiving weekend, button up for winter.

Grease patties, (not to be confused with extender patties),
will be kept on the top bars all year long.

de AA1IK,              Time the accursed enemy of man,
                       cursed by youth for going to slow
Ernie Gregoire         and by the old for going to fast.

R.R. 1, Box 221,
South Rd.              Beekeeper
Canaan, NH. 03741      Fly fisher & tier,
                       Promise Keeper.

E-mail address: [log in to unmask]

packet address: [log in to unmask]

10/22/98 15:02:21