From:
David Green <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 18 Jan 1999 06:43:32 EST
In a message dated 1/14/99 12:50:13 AM Eastern Standard Time,
[log in to unmask] writes:

> I've been following this thread and have to add that, although the matter
>  has been exhaustively covered in the past, there have been some recent
>
 >FWIW, I have experienced no problem *whatsoever* moving bees in the winter
>over the twenty-five or so years that I have done so without *any* special
>attention or preparation.  And I have moved bees as far as 500 miles in
>sub-freezing temps on an open truck in mid-winter.

   Allen is 100% right. Recent posts that advise against moving bees in
winter, and that advise stopping up hives, are sheer nonsense. Winter is a
perfect time to move bees, with much lower risk or difficulty than moving them
in summer heat. I've moved them at every season.

   And NEVER stop up a hive, unless you have good equipment and can put both
top and bottom screens on it. I've never found that necessary, which is good,
since it would not be possible with my equipment. (I don't have an outside job
to support my beekeeping, so I have to make do with stuff that a lot of
hobbyists would be ashamed of....) The bees will not fly at temps below about
50 F, and, as long as you keep moving, will not fly at temps somewhat above
that.

   From 32 to 50 degrees F,  just smoke very sparingly, load on the bees and
move them to the new spot. The bottom boards should be stapled on to avoid
problems. If it is a two story hive and not well glued by the bees, staple the
storys together, too. Below 32, don't smoke, handle them VERY gently to avoid
breaking the cluster (dropped bees may be too cold to get back to the
cluster), and face the entrances backward, so they will not scoop up cold wind
as you drive. (In the summer we try to face them forward for maximum
ventilation.) Below zero, it's probably not a good idea, but more because of
human and equipment problems than bee considerations. I've seen steel snap
like a plastic toy at 20 below.

    Migratory beekeepers move hundreds of truckloads of bees south each fall,
sometimes as late as January. These bees can be dug out of snow in New York
and easily arrive safely in the south. Believe me, it's a lot easier loading
and trucking them in the cold. (-Unless they are in deep snow, or frozen to
the ground.)

   But unloading them on a 75 degree day in the south, after they've not had a
cleansing flight in weeks -- now THAT's a different story!

[log in to unmask]     Dave Green  Hemingway, SC  USA
The Pollination Scene:  http://users.aol.com/pollinator/polpage1.html
The Pollination Home Page:    http://www.pollinator.com

Jan's Sweetness and Light Shop    (Varietal Honeys and Beeswax Candles)
http://users.aol.com/SweetnessL/sweetlit.htm