From:
David Eyre <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Wed, 13 Jan 1999 22:33:50 -0500
On 12 Jan 99, at 13:40, Peter Dalby wrote:

> Andrew &Tiffany need to move bees in winter.
> I have done this on a number of occasions and not noticed any significant
> harmful effect on the bees. If weather is cold the only preparation needed
> for moving is to block entrances(I use strips of plastic foam). I have

We had a laugh when we read this post, only because we're a bit
jealous.
                Last Saturday we had to visit a yard to change a hive roof.
Simple enough? Sure!  First we had to get dressed in layers of clothing,
enough so we could hardly bend over. Why? Well it was -22 Centigrade
and a strong wind, and a wind chill of heaven knows what.
        A 3 mile drive over snow covered roads. Now on to our snow shoes
and a climb over a farm gate, half buried in snow. A tramp over a snow
covered field with a howling wind to find hives buried up to the top
entrances and two feet of snow on the roofs.
         On the way back my glamorous assistant broke a binding, so it
was dot and carry one all the way back. One foot on her snow shoe,
one foot up to her thigh in deep snow.
        Move hives in the winter? No way! Leave them alone till spring.

The Bee Works, 9 Progress Drive, Unit 2,
Orillia, Ontario, Canada.
Phone (705)326 7171 Fax (705)325 3461
David Eyre, Owner
e-mail<[log in to unmask]>
http://www.beeworks.com
This months special:-Queen Rearing Equipment.