From:
David Green <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 18 Jan 1999 06:20:01 EST
In a message dated 1/14/99 2:48:43 AM Eastern Standard Time,
[log in to unmask] (David Margulies) writes:

>  My daughter is two and I would like to build a glass walled beehive into
the
>  wall of her room with the entrance outside.
>  the question is twofold:  ONE, are the bees going to object to the light
>  from her room?  Would the light upset their circadian rhythms?

    The bees use the light to find the entrance. Since the entrance is a long
tube through the wall, they are often confused and try to get through the
glass to get to the light. It seems to be a bigger problem at first, until
they are familiar with the route to the entrance.
But we keep a cover over our observations hives, when not being observed.

>  TWO, will the warmth of the room upset their hibernation in winter?

    Yes, although they don't really hibernate. It is extremely difficult to
overwinter an observation hive. They are unable to cluster to hold their heat,
and often brood gets chilled. If you keep them warm, they fly out and are
unable to return. I have succeeded here in South Carolina, with a lot of
effort, in overwintering an observation hive. I think it would take a lot
better beekeeper than me to do it in the north.

    I commend you on wanting to start an observation hive. But you should plan
on starting a couple regular hives also. The observation hive will practically
explode when things are good (and you will have to remove brood or bees), then
it will dwindle when things are poor (and you will have to add brood or adult
bees). Because it is an unnatural shape, and limited size, it take a lot more
intense management. And you must also have regular hives to meet those needs.
And in the fall, take down your observation hive and combine it with a regular
one.

    The first observation hive I ever kept was on the counter in my kitchen,
and I learned more that summer than I ever would have thought possible (didn't
get as much work done, though....).  But don't be surprised or disappointed,
if you only get six or eight weeks out of your hive on the first try.

[log in to unmask]     Dave Green  Hemingway, SC  USA
The Pollination Scene:  http://users.aol.com/pollinator/polpage1.html
The Pollination Home Page:    http://www.pollinator.com

Jan's Sweetness and Light Shop    (Varietal Honeys and Beeswax Candles)
http://users.aol.com/SweetnessL/sweetlit.htm