From:
David Eyre <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Sun, 10 Jan 1999 17:45:59 -0500
Now Varroa has finally moved into our area I am taking more interest in
the various treatments available.
        Having just read Tom Sandfords Dec Apis, in which he talks of Anti-
Varroa floors, it raises a number of questions which I would like to
discuss.
        1. Has anyone got experience of any anti-varroa floor?
        2. With the open bottom approach of these floors, wouldn't there be
easier access for ants?
        3. What could be spread under hive stands to discourage ants? I
believe there was a post about 'Comet' bath cleaner?
        4. How about wintering hives with open floors?

        For those unfamiliar with Anti-Varroa floors, the thinking is that there
is a natural drop of varroa off the bees. With a solid floor they can crawl
back up to reinfest the bee, whereas the mesh or open floor allows the
varroa to drop out of the hive.
        Please reply to the list, I would like some discussion as I believe
these floors have merit.

The Bee Works, 9 Progress Drive, Unit 2,
Orillia, Ontario, Canada.
Phone (705)326 7171 Fax (705)325 3461
David Eyre, Owner
e-mail<[log in to unmask]>
http://www.beeworks.com
This months special:-Queen Rearing Equipment.