From:
Allen Dick <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Sat, 9 Jan 1999 10:16:46 -0700
>The January, 1999, issue of Bee Culture has an interesting article by
> Larry Goltz about permanently mounting hives on >short (10-16 ft.)
> flatbed trailers. ... Has anyone in the >group  tried...

I've seen an entire outfit mounted on decks with legs that a trailer could
slide underneath.  Hydraulics on the trailer then raised the deck and the
legs were swung up out of the way and the deck settled onto the trailer
for moving.  32 hives were on each deck.

I also saw an outfit in Northern Alberta on trailers to help protect
against bears.

Neither outfit still uses trailers to my knowledge.

One thing to watch in pollination is that, on trailers, the grower or one
of his helpers may find it easy to hook on and move the trailer in daytime
to suit his own purposes, losing all your flying bees, unless the trailer
is disabled -- or the grower educated.

Wind is also more of a problem at trailer height as is managing the hives.

Allen

--
Buy, sell, trade, get a job, hire help, announce a
meeting, advertise a business or publication...