HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Bill Adams <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 1 May 1999 01:52:09 +0000
Based on the empirical evidence on my bookshelves, we might argue that
archaeological writing is almost entirely devoted to taking an utterly
fascinating subject and making it so boring that not even archaeologists
can possibly enjoy reading it. Surely we can do better!

We must start writing in plain English. Technical jargon may be needed in
appendices, but it can be greatly reduced in the main text.

William Hampton Adams,
  Director of Studies
Department of Archaeology
Flinders University
GPO Box 2100
Adelaide 5001, S.Australia

Phone: + 61 8 8 201 5257
Fax:   + 61 8 8 201 3845

See Archaeology at Flinders on our website at

http://www.sss.flinders.edu.au/archaeology/home.html

See an entire site report on the excavations in Fairbanks, Alaska at:
http://www.cc.flinders.edu.au/Archaeology/Staff/Adams/Barnette/START.HTM