From:
Mark Shanks <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 20 Jan 1999 11:25:36 -0700
Ian Foster wrote:

>The world of classical music has also been blighted by its array of
>"geniuses".  Far too much store is set by standards of excellence,
>whatever they might be.  When will someone celebrate mediocrity?

Oh, I see *plenty* of posts about Toscanini here.....

>What is clear is that making "saints" of "geniuses" is dangerous.
>Musicians are more likely to have something to say to us when they
>recognise what they have in common with us, rather than when they are
>placed on a pedestal, enjoy a luxurious jet-set lifestyle separated from
>the rest of humanity, etc.

The problem seems, more often than not, to be more a case of making
geniuses of saints (or at least, "holy fools", a la Forrest Gump and the
"Shine"ola pianist David Helfgott).

No one ever accused me of being a du Pre cultist, nor have I the slightest
interest in reading the book or seeing the movie.  BUT - the "Mommie
Dearest" trend seems to be perpetuated in this sort of "warts and all"
treatment, and I can only foresee more kicking of people after they are not
able to defend themselves.  This looks a LOT like a "Lifetime Network" type
of soaper, and all interested parties probably will be served exactly the
fare they expect.

Mark