From:
Andrew Carlan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 5 Feb 1999 23:52:20 -0500
The bored (or is it board) hedonist, Don Satz, writes:

>I've mentioned in the past my natural inclination for immediate
>gratification.  But, I actually often exhibit great patience in life.
>As an example, here are some of the new recordings I want which are not
>currently available to me:

Damn if I'll spread his hedonism by circulating his list.

But notice he suggests that he had gotten his musical Clintonitis under
control.  No such thing.  The list goes on for miles.  It covers a 17"
screen from top to bottom.

Which reminds me of a fellow teacher in my first time around the track
before I sold my soul to Daniel Webster.  He and I both had a Tandberg tape
recorder.  He would tape everything; I mean everything.  He subscribed to
the WQXR guide when that station also played "all the music that fits into
24 hours." He juggled that with the WNYC guide before NPR subverted it for
"good-two-shoes" government yak yak.  And still he found room for GAF's
WNCN, when it also broadcast classical music around the clock; in fact, it
had the better taste and fewer commercials than QXR.

Once anything was recorded it was never erased.  It was shelved in his
basement and was growing at a geometric rate, so much that his wife was
limited to a small corner for the washer.  They (or he) believed in drying
clothes out-of-doors for maximum freshness.  I think it was for expansion
purposes.

Anyway, one day it suddenly dawned on me what all this was about as he was
a good older than I was.  I blurted out "you heard each once and you go on
recording.  When are you ever going have time to hear the recording." He
had no answer.  So I said.  I know.  It must be related to the Tibetan
ritual of perpetually spinning prayer wheels.  You believe that so long as
you continue to record you will never die.  Of course, that is the theme,
also, of Hawthorne, "The House of the Seven Gables."

Don, did your ancestors come over on the Towerflower?

Dr. Figment Fraud, AKA Andrew Carlan