HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
George Myers <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 11 Sep 1999 15:18:27 -0400
I would like to thank the Forum for the responses to the inquiry about the
internment of US citizens, "possibly on Ellis Island" and for the information
on the "Opler brothers," I am curious about the fact that Japanese-Peruvians
were also removed from Peru and interned in the US. Though they have not been
recompensed by the US, they must play an important part in Peru today, as
President Fujimoro might assert. These "Emergency Powers" of our Executive
branch have all too often been promised to be reformed and I wonder if we as
a Nation can allow them to continue, as in my opinion, they exist as threats
to equality and international peace.

A neighbor of Grossman & Associates, Inc., who I used to work for (Joel
Grossman was once the yearly reviewer of archaeology in our hemisphere for
the "Encyclopedia Britannia," now (?) reported by Michael D. Coe) from
Gramercy Park, NYC, is in a Peruvian prison, high in the Andes today, tried
by a military tribunal without adequate representation, and I think as fellow
New Yorkers, historians and archaeologists we should object to its shadow.

When I first went to work there, Gramercy Park became covered in plastic,
when a superheated steam pipe exploded killing two persons, one who, as
"contract" archaeologists, we had dealt with in at his former place of
business. The asbestos cleanup took months, and I'm not sure if Gramercy Park
has completely recovered.

George J. Myers, Jr.