HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Jason Menard <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Jason C Menard <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 5 Feb 1999 11:53:49 -0600
It just occurred to me that there's King George III Inn located in
Eskdale Green, Cumbria (near Ravenglass), that was once called the King
of Prussia.  They changed the name during WWI, since the locals didn't
want to be confused with German sympathisers.

Another datum for your study.  The current King George pub's claim to
fame is their award winning loo:  'Best Loo in Northern England,' or
some such.  I must admit that it is quite palatial in there;
particularly after a few pints!

Cheers,
Jason Menard

--
Jason Menard
Interdisciplinary Archaeological Studies