HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Paul Webb <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 25 Jan 1999 11:57:41 -0500
dear list -

Can anyone out there provide definitive information concerning the
copyright status of Sanborn maps?

Based on my (limited) understanding of copyright law, it currently provides
for a 28-year initial period and a 47-year extention, thus resulting in a
maximum of 75-years of copyright protection.  Thus, I would assume that
pre-1924 maps would now be in the public domain.

That said, my local repository states that the maps in their collection
cannot be copied for use in a report without express permisison from the
Sanborn Co., regardless of the year.  Can Sanborn still be claiming
copyright on pre-1924 materials?  Or is this perhaps a case where they are
still claiming ownership (and thus control) of the maps themselves (which
were originally deposited in the Library of Congress)?

A second repository won't allow any duplicaition of maps whatsoever, even
those dating back to 1884.

I'd appreciate insight into this, as well as any experience anyone has had
in getting publication permission from Sanborn . . .

Thanks

Paul A. Webb

Dept. Manager, Chapel Hill
TRC Garrow Associates, Inc.