From:
Ian Crisp <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 2 Feb 1999 17:05:48 +0000
Jon Johanning wrote of Borders:

>Apparently they have not extended their mighty empire to Britain, the
>former imperial power, as yet. Their CM selection seems to differ with the
>individual store; there are two in my immediate area, one of which has a
>lot bigger selection than the other. But of course a specialized record
>store will generally be superior.

They have a store on Oxford Street in London - the only one in the UK as
yet as far as I know.  The CM music stock does no match that of the nearby
HMV, but it does go way beyond "pop classics" - I bought the Naxos CD of
MacMillan's percussion concerto and Birtwistle's "Mask of Orpheus" there.
That was a couple of months ago and the general pricing was well below
anywhere else except on-line stores and the occasional promotional offer.
Definitely worth keeping in mind, and the book side of the business is
impressive as well - especially after an hour or so spent trying to find
things in Foyles on the Charing Cross Road (anyone familiar with this
famous bookshop's method of arranging and displaying its stock will know
what I mean!)

Ian Crisp