From:
Steve Schwartz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 2 Feb 1999 10:18:11 -0500
David Stewart  wrote:

>Does anyone have complete programme notes for VW Symphonies? I have
>allusions to them in the CD booklets but I think it would be very useful
>if I could read the whole thing.  Where might I get them?

Dave Lampson has already pointed out my web pages.  There's also a
"listener's guide" to the fifth symphony at the VW site.

Books which contain detailed notes of VW's symphonies:

Michael Kennedy, The Works of Ralph Vaughan Williams, Oxford Univ.  Press.
This remains the standard work on VW's music.

Elliott Schwartz (no relation), The Symphonies of Ralph Vaughan Williams,
Da Capo Press.  OK, but no great shakes.

Alain Frogley, Vaughan Williams Studies, Cambridge Univ.  Press.  A
magnificent book for the intellectual milieu VW came from.  Also a couple
of technical studies of the symphonies (if you don't read music, they're
probably not for you).

Wilfrid Mellers, Vaughan Williams and the Vision of Albion, Barrie &
Jenkins (out of print, but usually available through search services).
Another winner.  It tries to do no less than tell you why VW's music works
on your psyche as it does - impossible, but a great try, with lots of
brilliant insights along the way.  This includes discussions of each of
the symphonies.

Steve Schwartz