From:
Karl Miller <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 1 Feb 1999 13:09:43 -0600
Bernard Gregoire wrote:

>Reports indicate that Spano's regular Brooklyn Symphony audiences
>benefit from an enlightened repertory policy which includes one piece
>of contemporary material on EVERY program.  Patrons are very fortunate
>to have him, whatever his executive and artistic modes.

Saturday was the first time I encountered a performance of Spano. It was
something we broadcast at our station, a performance of the Copland Third
Symphony done at Festival Hill in Round Top...here in Texas.  I have heard
that work done by some wonderful conductors, Dorati, Szell, Bernstein, et
al.  Spano's vision of the work was wonderful and while his attention to
detail might not have been as acute as either Dorati or Szell, his feel for
the music was excellent.

Karl