From:
Nick Perovich <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 1 Feb 1999 14:14:38 -0500
Bill Strother wrote:

>I don't know how they do it, but there are some conductors who have the
>character to imprint themselves on a group of musicians in ways that allow
>(or force) them to rise above their usual standards.

Probably a number of you have heard of the orchestral violinist who
complained that after playing under him it took weeks to get Solti out
of his fingers.

Whenever I've talked to orchestral musicians, I've found that they seem to
have a hard time explaining how certain conductors work their magic.  And
some of those interviewed on the "Legendary Conductors" tape make similar
comments.  Do orchestral players distinguish between conductors whose means
for producing their effects are clearly understood and those whose means
are more mysterious?

Nick