From:
Chris Bonds <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 31 Jan 1999 18:26:27 -0600
Donald Satz wrote:

>Do any list members share these feelings about the Brahms works? Any other
>pieces which result in this great frame of mind?

I agree about the Clarinet Quintet.  The late Intermezzi fall into that
category for me as well.  Other "comforting" works for me:  Brahms Requiem,
Beethoven's Quartet in C# Minor, Op.  131, Bb Op.  130, the slow movements
of his piano sonatas Op.  109 and 111, the "starry night" adagio of Op.
59/2 quartet; other Beethoven slow movements:  7th symphony, 5th piano
concerto, 9th symphony; Bach:  Aria, "Erbarme dich" from St.  Matthew
Passion; Mozart:  Clarinet Concerto, 2nd movement; String Quintet in D, 1st
movement; G Minor quintet, slow movement; Schubert:  Quintet in C; Dvorak:
Cello Concerto, 2nd mvt; "American" Quartet, slow movement.  Beethoven:
"Benedictus" from Missa Solemnis.

I could name lots of others if I took the time, but I felt good about
naming the ones above.

Don't know if this is relevant here but my wife told me she wants the
Nimrod variation played at her funeral.

Chris Bonds