From:
Tony Duggan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 31 Jan 1999 01:17:00 -0800
Roger Hecht wrote:

>Sadly, I just got the latest catalog, and most of the BBC Classics stuff
>was picked off, including this one.  (Besides this, I bought an Elgar
>Violin Concerto with Haendel/Pritchard, and a Rubbra Fourth with Handley.
>I haven't heard the Elgar, but the Rubbra is very good.) If you're
>interested, keep an eye on their catalogs or their website.

Make the most of BBC Radio Classics for they are gone for ever, never
to return.  The BBC ended its arrangement with their partners in this
particular enterprise.  It was a patchy affair, even at the best of times.
Much better is its successor in the BBC firmament, BBC Legends, whose first
tranche should hit the USA this month.  This time they are doing things
right.  Don't miss the Horenstein Mahler 8, the Barbirolli Mahler 3, the
Mravinsky Shostakovich 8 or the Silvestri and Stokowski concerts to name
but a handful.  The second tranche is out in the UK in April and includes
the first of a new series featuring Benjamin Britten as performer including
a Mahler 4th Symphony conducted by Britten.  (Yes, you read that right.
Mahler's 4th Symphony conducted by Benjamin Britten.) Also out that month
is the fabled Berlioz Requiem conducted by Beecham, also Horenstein
conducting Bruckner 8 and 9, as well as another Mahler 4 conducted by,
who else, Barbirolli.

Tony Duggan
Staffordshire,
United Kingdom.