From:
Roger Hecht <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 26 Jan 1999 22:02:29 -0500
Kar-Ming Chong wrote:

>I think I prefer the broad and expansive accounts of Brahms' Symphonies
>by Walter/CSO and, to a lesser extent, Szell/CO.  Can anyone recommend
>other versions of Brahms' symphonies that operate in the same mould?

If you want broad and expansive consider Barbirolli/Vienna
Philharmonic/EMI; Jochum/London Philharmonic/EMI (though you said you
didn't like Jochum with the BPO, so maybe not--I don't know that BPO
recording); maybe Sanderling/Dresden/Eurodisc; I would call Boult/EMI
somewhat on the broad side, though maybe more autumnal than broad, I guess;
one I've always wondered about might be a possibility if you can hear it
first (I haven't, so I'm speculating)--Giulini/EMI.  Certainly, there is
the early Karajan DG set (not the later one).  Also Bernstein/Vienna/DG:
I'm not that fond of it because of its idiocyncracies (I liked the Fourth
when I heard it being recording, but that's live).  I don't know if I'd
call it broad and expansive, but Solti/Chicago/London is a very good set.

Roger Hecht