From:
"John G. Deacon" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 27 Jan 1999 22:17:09 +0100
Gilbert Chang <[log in to unmask]> asked:

>Why are there so few female conductors?"

This subject was discussed, somewhat heatedly I recall, about 6-9 months
ago.

I dared to suggest - and Schwartzo became greatly enraged over it - that
it was a lack of spirituality that had meant that the western world had
seen comparatively little achievement from women in conducting, composing
and painting.  More recently they have also been unwelcomed by many on
entering the priesthood whereas women have excelled in science, medicine,
literature, playing instruments and acting (and so on and so forth...).

A week or so ago this matter came up in the medical pages of a major UK
paper - I passed it over as it was not my intention to open the subject
again.  It still isn't.

The medical theory put forward was that it is down to *testosterone*.
Women are the guardians of society and civilization (like Fricka!) - men,
because of this 'substance', are the "get-up-and-goers" - hence their
creative achievement in this area (and violence and fast cars, planes,
wars etc....).  Danielle Crittenden might agree here?

Anyway, I've nothing more to add on this - we been here before and dealing
with today's PC 'across the pond' means it would be best to "shut up" now
before the storm breaks!  So I will.

John G. Deacon
Home page:         http://www.ctv.es/USERS/j.deacon