From:
Jon Johanning <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 26 Jan 1999 09:24:39 -0500
Alexa Butterworth wrote:

>On the subject of female conductors, I have the very non-feminist view
>that there are not many female conductors with the authority and skill
>that earns them the respect of professional orchestras.  However, one of
>the best conductors we have worked with here in Scotland, is American,
>Marin Alsop, who was superb and is returning in a couple of weeks.

Ms.  Alsop was definitely someone I had in mind when I suggested picking
a woman for the Phila. Orch.  I heard her guest-conduct the Phillies last
year and was very impressed.  I imagine that the powers-that-be are looking
for someone with a more advanced career and more "prestige," however, so
I don't think she is in the running.  The problem with women conductors
at this point is that the field opened up to them so recently that their
C.V.s are generally not very long yet, so realistically speaking they will
probably have to wait for the next time the position is vacant in a place
like Philly.

Jon Johanning // [log in to unmask]