From:
Roger Hecht <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 26 Jan 1999 09:01:40 -0500
Tony Duggan wrote:

>David Stewart wrote:
>
>>I have recently become addicted to Elgar.  I have got to the stage where
>>I have been able to listen to his second symphony 2 times on the trot.
>>But I need more, so recommendations would be much apreciated.  I have:

Since I wrote so much on this last time, for the sake of completeness, I
thought I'd endorse a few things Tony mentioned that I also like a lot and
forgot about. Not that I think my opinion especially important, but I
thought that two endorsements of something might prove reassuring.

>>Intro & Allegro for Strings
>
>There is a marevllous recording of this by Benjamin Britten that isn't
>mentioned enough on Decca.  Failing that, Barbirolli or Boult.

Agreed in all counts, though I might put Barbirolli on top (splitting
hairs).

>>Cello Concerto
>
>Everyone else will tell you that Jaqueline du Pre with the LSO and
>Barbirolli is the definitive version so there is no need for me to plug
>it too hard.  I admire it but I would point you to other views which are
>slightly less emotionally charged.  Beatrice Harrison with Elgar himself
>conducting (coupled with the boy Menhiun in the Violin Concerto) should be
>in every collection

I was just thinking stereo, but agreed on the Harrison.

>No mention of the Violin Concerto, David.  You must have that too and my
>own favourite is Hugh Bean and the RLPO under Groves

Forgot this one. One of my favorites, too.

>You DO have The Dream of Gerontius in you collection, I hope.  My
>own favourite recording is Sargent's on Testament with Heddle Nash as
>Gerontius.  But Barbirolli with Janet Baker as the Angel on EMI is a great
>stereo alternative.

Again, I was thinking stereo. The Sargent is a classic.

Roger Hecht