From:
Donald Satz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 23 Jan 1999 21:09:17 PST
Chris Bonds wrote:

>I don't think the guy has too much of a sense of humor.

Good.  I very much dislike humor in music.  So, I'm changing my position.
Barenboim is a genius, Gal is right on target, and Chris and the others who
have been jabbing him will receive their "haymaker" in due course.

Earnestly, I do think Barenboim is getting an undeserved bashing.  Maybe
it's because Gal gave him the genius label.  The fact is that he is an
artist consistently in high demand in the concert hall and on record.
Personally, I have particular fondness for Barenboim's Beethoven and
Mozart piano interpretations, and his conducting of Wagner.  He even
makes Mendelssohn sound fairly good.

Don Satz