From:
Ulvi Yurtsever <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 22 Jan 1999 17:23:24 -0800
Lindsey Orcutt:

>Deryk Barker wrote:
>
>>Barenboim the pianist concentrates almost exclusively on "the usual
>>suspects".
>
>And he doesn't even seem to do those very well. I'm sure there are many
>who would disagree, but I think he's overrated, both as a conductor and
>pianist.

Well, Barenboim gets a lot of flak, some deserved some undeserved.  He is
no genius, but has made some worthy records both as pianist and conductor.
I like his late Beethoven sonatas from the digital cycle (on DG), and much
of his chamber music contributions on record (including the Brahms lieder
disc with Norman, already mentioned) are excellent.  I am less sympathetic
to his efforts as conductor, but one memorable disc is a collection of
Debussy orchestral works (again on DG).

Overall he is a mixed bag, with some worthy peaks along the way, and I
wouldn't say he is overrated since he doesn't strike me as being rated
very high.  He may very well be overpaid, though, if that's what you meant.

Ulvi