From:
Richard Pennycuick <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 23 Jan 1999 09:01:14 +1100
While we're discussing concert ambience and behaviour, I've often thought
that CM performers would be far more comfortable playing a concert in the
sort of clothes they would wear to rehearsal.  It seems to me that the
wearing of formal evening dress is an anachronism which does nothing
whatever to enhance the quality of the performance but has much to do with
maintaining the perception that classical music is an activity for the
rich.  I don't imagine for a moment that this tradition will ever wither
away, but I'd be interested in the views of those Listers who are also
performers.

Richard Pennycuick