From:
Ben Palmer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 22 Jan 1999 13:45:09 -0500
RE:  http://www.philorch.org and Rattle Coughs-- We have had that tradition
since at least the 30's.  Stokowski would stare down or point out the
person.  I can sit in the tippy-top of the Ampitheatre and only hear music
in a nearly full house.  I missed the concert last night.  I have not heard
Rattle.  I was mightily impressed by Slatkin, who filled in for some
concerts and may be likewise unavailable.  I respect Sir Simon Rattle's
determination to stay in England.  I have a favorite candidate, but who
else should be considered for major orchestras? Sawallisch has been
wonderful this year.  That will hold me for a lifetime.  I would like to
hear stories of the Olden Daies at the Met with the immigrant opera fans.
BTW, the Phil.  Orch.  had an alumni section on their site.

Ben Palmer
P.S. Did you record the Thursday concert for us?  I believe it will be
repeated thru Monday or Tuesday.  Good seats available.