From:
Mark Shanks <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 22 Jan 1999 08:17:43 -0700
Much of the discussion seems to be centered on the effect of audience noise
on the performers - Masur's walk-off being a fine example.  I would expect
that the actual *performers* are probably not seriously affected by this
type of distraction, and in some cases are probably not even aware of it
because they are surrounded by louder sounds.  MY problem is with the
tuberculoids who wait for the ppp passage before letting go.  Masur walked
off during the Largo from the Shostakovich 5th, and for that, I applaud
him.  I have the Kamu recording of the Pettersson 6th, and preserved
therein for all eternity is another hacker, RIGHT at what must be the
quietest passage in the entire symphony - hack cough cough.  I'll never
hear that work without mentally adding that noise.  Dirty SOB, I hope the
fleas of a thousand camels infested his eyebrows.

SOME coughing is involuntary, but I can't say that I have ever been at
a concert (or a movie, for that matter) where I lost voluntary control to
the point that I made clearly audible coughing sounds.  And no, I don't
have to contort or turn purple in restraint.  My take - if you are so ill
that you cannot help but to hack, cough, wheeze, sneeze, sniffle, or in
some other way audibly inform the rest of the audience of your virus- or
tobacco-induced runniness, for heaven's sake stay at home.  Please.

Mark