From:
Donald Satz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 21 Jan 1999 12:02:02 PST
Lindsey Orcutt wrote:

>My point is, celebrating mediocrity, or advocating for doing so, would
>cause a decline in civilization.

I agree with Lindsay, but I think Ian Foster's advocacy for doing so was
just said in jest.

Mediocrity is celebrated often in communist countries; it's probably
one of the "unstated" themes of those dictatorships.  The "democratic"
countries, for different reasons, always celebrate mediocrity in the world
of entertainment.  How about the world of politics? There's little but
mediocrity in that area, yet we rush to the ballot box to support one or
more of these undistinguished individuals.  Unfortunately, most folks do
not accurately recognize excellence or mediocrity except in the area of
sports.

There is another spin on this subject.  One person's mediocrity can be
another's crowning achievement.  I have a learning disabled adult child.
Whenever he achieves mediocrity with a life function, my wife and I
celebrate with him as we should.

If mediocrity was grounds for celebration, I'd be buying up every
recording issued and listening to everything with a satisfied smile.
I suppose I would be a happier person.

Don