From:
"D. Stephen Heersink" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 21 Jan 1999 21:02:29 GMT
Andrew Davis has proven himself a fine interpreter of this century's
British classical music (esp.  Elgar), and I assume he would be a fine
choice to try.  I've settled on three complete sets (Previn, Boult, and
Slatkin) and find something in each to like.  I've begun collecting the
Naxos issues and have been completely satisfied.  I have a smattering of
other single cds, and each can be charming on its own.  But I do prefer
to find a conductor's whose corpus is widely recognized to be sort of a
"standard" by which to measure others.  Of the four sets, I prefer Boult
as that standard.

D. Stephen Heersink
San Francisco