From:
Robin Newton <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 14 Jan 1999 08:03:13 PST
A plea for information:

I have a growing interest in Shostakovich and Nationalism but know very
little about it or where to find out information.  I have found that the
obvious sources such as the Volkov memoirs (if they are to be believed) and
David Fanning's book don't contain a great deal of information concerning
this subject.

I am sure that Shostakovich was well aware of the folk music of Russia
and, in particular, the importance of it to Stalin and the policitical
indoctrination practiced in relation to music.  Volkov mentions that Stalin
loved to hear a Lezghinka (sp?) (a national Georgian folkdance) but I can't
find any mention of this elsewhere.  Such as what the dance was used for,
what its characteristics are, whether Shostakovich used it etc...  Did
Shostakovich use folk music at all in his composition? Is Shostakovich's
'Russianness' a conscious feature (like Bartk) or is it more a natural
result of his being Russian (like Debussy's Frenchness)?

If anyone can suggest further reading or listening or simply food for
thought then I would be very pleased to hear from them.

Thanks.

Robin Newton