From:
Chris Bonds <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 13 Jan 1999 11:48:38 -0600
Glenn Miller wrote:

>While were on the subject can someone make a comment on Rubinstein's Brahms
>1st.  Reiner conducts the Chicago sym orch on the RCA Red Seal Label.  Date
>is 1954

I just listened to the first movement of this recording last night,
aamof.  The sound is quite good with the piano neither predominating nor
obscured.  I thought I detected a couple of rhythmic ensemble problems,
which surprised me considering the stature of these two gents.  I would
have to hear it again to be 100% certain, though.  The horn calls at the
end of the exposition and recap.  are thrilling.  The stereo placement
reveals a nice "echo" effect which suggests a wide spacing of the two
players concerned.  I don't remember which they are and didn't have a
score to check.

Rubinstein makes the piano sing, with just the right amount of rubato in
spots.  I used to have him doing the Brahms 2nd with Krips, and I've also
heard his later recording with Ormandy.  My overall impression is that he
doesn't take as "massive" an approach to Brahms as some others might (don't
ask me to name names, though), but he was an impeccable musician and can't
do much wrong, IMO.

Having said all that, I'll ask as well if anyone knows of a performance
conducted by Szell (apologies for not having read all the postings yet.)

Chris Bonds