From:
David Stewart <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 28 Apr 1999 23:41:25 +0100
I wrote of Zemlinsky:

>Never heard of him - should I have?  [Oh yeah.  -Dave]

So what should be my first CD - tell me the label as well - I am feeling
lazy.  Also budget or less would be nice...

 [I think Zemlinsky lost his way aesthetically as his career progressed,
 so I like the earlier works (and I wouldn't wish 20th century opera or
 lieder on my worst enemy, so recommendations for vocal pieces will have to
 come from someone else) but his first and second symphonies (Conlon, EMI
 56473) and first and second string quartets (Artis Quartet, Nimbus NI5563)
 are a good place to start in the orchestral and chamber areas respectively.
 About the "budget or less" thing...  there ain't no such thing as a free
 lunch (at least until Klaus gets involved).

David Stewart