From:
Denis Fodor <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 28 Apr 1999 12:43:52 -0400
Tony Duggan wrote:

>Nanut is a good conductor and he pops up a lot on these cheapo recordings.

I experienced him performing a couple of years ago in Milan.  That was in
the conservatory auditorium, a large hall that hosts a lot of top flight
concert music, and he was conducting a pickup orchestra consisting partly
of Slovenian Radio musicians, plus others from northeastern parts of Italy
bordering on Slovenia.  He's a middle-aged, balding, corpulent type, with
the looks, you might say, of a Habsburg era Kapellmeister.  And that's the
way he came across the evening I saw him.  The program inlcuded a Schumann
and a Haydn symphony and he self-confidently sent the band through them
with all the savvy of a Ferenc Fricsay, though not with quite the support
from the forces.  I've not heard the Naxos number under discussion here,
but it would surprise me if it weren't competently conducted, if only that.

Denis Fodor                             Internet:[log in to unmask]