From:
Thanh-Tam Le <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 24 Apr 1999 06:48:28 -0400
Jon Johanning <[log in to unmask]> wrote about John Williams's statements:

>Therefore it is nonsense to say that "there is something wrong" with
>classical music because it "has run out of a cultural language of its own"
>and is just trying to "extend its lifescale," when instead it ought to just
>curl up and die, presumably.  I find it almost incomprehensible that such
>a great musician (who, by the way, has been very active in commissioning
>and playing new works by composers who are engaged in what he apparently
>thinks is the futile task of "searching round for a language") would say
>such things.

Sorry Gentlemen, but although I have not followed the thread with all
needed care, are you sure that John Williams himself thinks that "Real
Music Is European Classical Music"? Isn't he criticizing a view held by
some of his colleagues? I mean, not only did he commission new works, but
he is also very expicitly proud of being Australian and a promoter of
genuinely Australian music, such as Sculthorpe's.  I wonder whether there
isn't a slight misunderstanding about what is his opinion and what is his
reflection about other musicians' views.

However stating that European classical music has a long tradition and
that it gives it a special dimension (which is also the case with Indian
music and some others, but not with all kinds of music) is not offensive
IMHO.  But of course, this is another question (or is it).

Best wishes,

Thanh-Tam Le