text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (27 lines)
Robert W. Shaw writes:

>Bernstein both didn't write all that much and, again, wrote
>music that just doesn't seem destined to pass eventually into the >standard
>repertory (Mahler's and Beethoven's music were misunderstood in their
>time but eventually passed into the canon; I would not bet my money >that
>Copland's and Bernstein's "serious" stuff will).

and  Craig T. Hancock writes:

>And my last question maybe I am just to young to understand but >what is the
>big deal of Leonard Bernstien I don't really understand his as far as >when
>I listen to it.  thank you for reading my message

Hello, young gentlemen!  I am happy to expound on Lenny a little:

Bernsein the composer: I would put Bernstein's 'Mass' up there with my favorite American works [And I -hate- most modern sacred music]. The sounds are unforgettable.  Check it out.

Bernstein the conductor: His "Young Peoples Concerts" (I think that's the name) from the early 60s are on video now and are truly enjoyable for CM lovers of all ages.  His sense of music IMHO was wonderfully modern but not elitist.

Bernstein the pianist: Ask someone who knows.  (Not me.)

Wondering if we should have a Bernstein thread?

Bob K.
                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                               !

ATOM RSS1 RSS2