From:
Edwin Phua <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 3 Apr 1999 23:45:00 -0800
I come from Singapore and in Singapore, almost every school has its own
band (whether brass, marching, concert or symphonic band) and a choir.  So,
many young people here gets a chance to play music.  However, not many of
them become interested in CM.  Partly, a lot of band literature is not CM,
and quite a lot of it, sad to say, is pop music.  Audience reception to the
more 'serious' band music, like the works of Claude T.  Smith is, frankly,
frigid and unappreciative.  My own junior college band played Mussorgsky's
'Pictures at an Exhibition' a few years back, and many of my friends found
it boring and tedious!  Admittedly, the music directors do play a part in
imparting a love of CM to the young players, but a lot of these music
directors concentrate more on learning the rights notes, how to sightread,
how to play with expression and all the more surface aspects of music, but
not the actual appreciation of how the music develops or how innovative the
chord progressions are!  But at least it is a start, to bring young people
to 'serious' music!

Edwin Phua