From:
Sarina Adelman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 31 Mar 1999 14:33:59 -0500
Joseph Previte <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

>So, which set/sets are indispensible? What am I missing that is/are "must
>haves?"

I'm not sure I would want to make a judgement on "indispensibility" %^)

In addition to the works on your listing, I would add the following:

Beethoven String Quartets with the Budapest String Quartet (The Budapests
are a strong personal preference of mine.  Even when I don't feel that a
specific performance is the best I have heard, I am always interested in
hearing their interpretation.  Over the years, I seem to have developed a
knee-jerk reaction: Budapest=Buy)

The Masterworks Heritage CD's which have given me the most pure listening
pleasure have been the three vocal recitals by Bidu Sayao.  In particular,
my CD player sees a great deal of MHK 63221, which features a performance
of Debussy's "La Demoiselle elue" and a collection of arias from various
operas (fairly standard stuff, but each a beautiful gem).

I won't even begin to express my opinion on the possible demise of
Masterworks Heritage and the general "goings-on" at Sony "Classical".
I tend to use colorful words and phrases that would never make it past
a moderator...  [Try me.  -Dave]

Sarina Adelman <[log in to unmask]>