From:
Henk van Tuijl <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 11 Jan 1999 04:46:27 +0100
Donald Satz wrote:

>Channel Classics recently issued Wispelwey's recording of Bach's cello
>suites.  Previously released was his recording of Beethoven's cello
>sonatas.  What do list members think of Wispelwey in this repertoire
>compared to other period instrument recordings?

It is his second recording of Bach's suites.  Some like the first one
better.  Others cannot hear the difference.  Only Suzuki (the brother
who plays cello) could be a serious match for Wispelwey - on gut-strings.
I still prefer Casals in general and Rostropovic among the more recent
releases.

Regards, Henk