From:
Simon Corley <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 1 Apr 1999 12:46:59 -0800
Deryk Barker wrote:

>For example, how often do you hear any of these in concert:
>Rott: Symphony (2 recordings)

Is it necessary?

>Villa Lobos: String Quartets (one complete and one ongoing cycle IIRC)

Never, of course, athough many of them would deserve a public performance
(and wouldn't shock the audience).

>Vaughan Williams: outside of the UK how often are any of these performed?

Elgar, Britten and even Walton are indeed more popular in France.  Since
nearly 20 years in Paris, I've never heard a symphonic work by Vaughan
Williams or Tippett.

>Vivaldi: The F*** Seasons. Judging by the number of recordings
>      on the market this should probably be the most
>      performed work of all. Is it?

I'd say "one of the most performed work", because it is often performed
(generally in churches) by small occasional or amateur ensembles and not
only by the well known symphony orchestras or baroque ensembles.

Simon Corley