From:
Steven Schwartz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 31 Mar 1999 11:22:06 -0600
Don Satz:

>Good business practices are good for the orchestra, audience members, and
>anyone else connected with the process.

Hear!  Hear!  Unfortunately, in New Orleans, the hard-headed business types
who ran the New Orleans Symphony Orchestra spent the orchestra's endowment
and drove it under.  The musicians (whom we tend to think of as scattered
and naive) reformed a cooperative group under the name the Louisiana
Philharmonic, now in their ninth season and completely free of debt.

As E. Y. Harburg once wrote, "I gave up the moonbeams of business for the
solid reality of songwriting."

Steve Schwartz