From:
Donald Satz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 31 Mar 1999 14:35:55 PST
If it's a worthy subject concerning Mozart, it must be okay for Handel.

Some good Handel conductors are McGegan, Pinnock, Manze, Gardiner, Jacobs,
and Standage.  But, standing tall above all others is Robert King who
records for Hyperion.  His Handel discography is fairly extensive and keeps
growing - I have all his recordings and treasure each one.  King has an
uncanny way with dynamics and pulse that, IMHO, enriches every Handel work
he touches.

Many months back, I took the effort to compare every King recording to a
comparable period instrument version(where one existed).  In every case,
what sounded good with another conductor sounded great with King.  What was
great with another conductor sounded like "straight from heaven" from King.

Mr. King is hardly a household name.  Am I the only one who considers
him supreme in Handel?

Don Satz